Search This Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2011

4th grade - Tallest Tower Contest

My 4th grade students are very energetic, enthusiastic and competitive so they loved this sculpture contest.  I have a big tub of index cards that I save from year to year for it.  The rules are that they can work by themselves or with a partner.  They don't get glue, tape or staples; just the index cards and scissors if needed (but not to be used in the sculpture).  They have 20 minutes to build the tallest tower and it can't be leaning against anything.  At the end of the 20 minutes, I measure them all (i also won't measure any before time is up, it has to endure that long)!  It's entertaining to watch the towers that get immediately tall and then usually end up falling over before time is up.  It's a good time to talk about structure, balance and also "slow and steady wins the race."




4 comments:

  1. Great blog! I lOVE the index card tower idea :)
    If you have time, check out my blog, I teach elementary art as well. artmuse67@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't tell me you are almost out of school... we have until mid- June and my art show is in about a month! I have also stopped by to give you the "Versatile Blogger Award." Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, look at that second to last picture! I do a lot of "contests" similar to this if we have an extra 20 minutes left at the end of a project. I have used straws but like the index card idea.. I also have done the "strongest bridge" and "longest line" out of one piece of paper, scissors, and every team gets the same amount of tape. Thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. I know my students would love this. We have done the "newspaper tube" sculptures in the past--so much fun, but then we're left with the problem of what to do with them when complete and they are HUGE. I love that these can go up and come down in time for the next class. Perfect for small spaces.
    I love your blog and am going to add you to my blog roll.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete