Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

6th Grade - Surreal Hands


This was a lesson I did with my last year's 6th graders.  I just came across the pictures and wanted to post them!  This was a somewhat challenging project, but well worth it in the end.  Students learned about surrealism and had to come up with a sketch of their hand as some kind of surreal scene.  Next, they turned their drawings into clay sculptures.  Each person's sculpture started with clay slab, where they traced and cut out their own hand.  Next, they added details to the hand, make it more realistic before bending it into the particular pose they needed.  They got more clay to add on their "surreal" parts to the hand.  The sculptures were then fired and painted.




1 comment:

  1. If this is not the coolest surrealism project I don't know what is. There is so much higher level thinking going on it's fabulous! I wish I taught middle school to do this. It will always be in my mental file of GREAT ideas!

    ReplyDelete